Tuition Waiver Program (Foster Care)
Certain foster children and adopted children/wards under subsidy from the Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) may receive a tuition waiver to a participating Maine public college/university.
How do I apply?
1. The 2021-2022 Tuition Waiver Program (Foster Care) application will be available March 1, 2021 (instead of Feb. 1) to give students more time to obtain proof of acceptance or enrollment before they apply. The Tuition Waiver Program Application is short – just two pages to fill out.
- Page 1: (required) Student demographics (SSN, DOB, name, address, phone, email address), intended enrollment institution, JMG information (if applicable), and student signature
- Page 2 (optional): Authorization to release information to a third party (for example to a parent, guardian, spouse, JMG Specialist, etc.)
IMPORTANT: The completed application must be mailed- it will not be accepted by fax, e-mail or hand delivery.
2. Provide proof of acceptance or enrollment in an undergraduate degree program by submitting one of the following:
- A copy of the college admissions acceptance letter from a Maine postsecondary educational institution
- A letter from the college registrar’s office confirming your degree program status
- A current college transcript showing your degree program status
3. File the FAFSA. Although there is no deadline, your application is not considered complete until you have filed your FAFSA.
Who is eligible?
Eligible students must meet one of the following conditions at the time of graduation from high school or upon completion of HiSET/GED or equivalent:
- Be in Maine’s foster care program
- Be adopted from Maine’s foster care program and adoptive parent(s) receive a subsidy from Maine DHHS
- Be a minor ward of a permanency guardian and guardian(s) receive a subsidy from Maine DHHS
FAME will verify your status with the DHHS upon receipt of your application.
How are students selected?
FAME selects qualified students on a first come, first served basis.
What are the award amounts?
The award is the actual amount of tuition waived at the college/university that you attend.
Tuition Waiver may be used for any attendance during fall and spring terms. Tuition Waiver may be used for attendance full time only during summer terms.
Is the award renewable?
Yes! The award is renewable for up to five years of full-time enrollment or the equivalent, prior to receipt of a baccalaureate degree.
Renewal applications are mailed to current recipients by the end of February. In addition to the application, you must complete the FAFSA and continue to be in good academic standing.
Which colleges/universities participate in this program?
- All of the University of Maine schools
- All of the Maine community colleges
- Maine Maritime Academy
Tuition Waiver (Foster Care) is governed by Maine law as set forth in 20-A M.R.S.A. §12571 et seq. and Chapter 608 of the Rules of the Finance Authority of Maine.