Do you have a military connection? If so, you or your family members may have access to specific military-service-related educational opportunities and benefits. Consider these resources and programs as you plan your future.
Choosing a College
If you are a veteran or active service member, you’ll want to seek out colleges that offer military-friendly services and benefits. These benefits may include Veterans Support Service Advisors, a Veterans Mentor Program, a Veterans Resource Center or special publications or website information focused on veterans. As you research schools, ask them what services they offer to veterans and their families.
Here are some websites that can help you in your search:
- The Maine State Approving Agency is responsible for approving programs of education and training in Maine offered to individuals that receive GI Bill benefits, and maintaining a directory of these programs.
- The Military Friendly Schools website provides a list of military-friendly schools as well as a link to GI Jobs School Matchmaker, a site that allows students to search for schools based on selected veterans services.
Career Planning and College Application Assistance
The following organizations are not specific to veterans, but may be helpful if you are looking for assistance with college preparation and applications or the process of transitioning to college:
Researching a Career
One way to find the right college is to think about what type of career you might like to have. Start by thinking about what you like to do. Research different jobs and learn what type of education you’ll need to achieve your career goals.
Helpful Career Search Resources
- My Next Move for Veterans helps veterans match their military career to a civilian career.
- O*Net Online – Complete a self-directed career exploration/assessment profiler.
- Maine Career Center – Explore careers, training and jobs in Maine.
- Career One Stop – Explore careers, training and jobs throughout the United States.
- FAME Student Loan/Salary Calculator – Make informed student loan borrowing decisions.
Exploring Military Education Benefits
Military OneSource is a Department of Defense-funded program that provides free and comprehensive information on every aspect of military life, including higher education benefits to active duty, Guard and Reserve members and their families. For more information visit MilitaryOneSource.mil.
Maine Army National Guard Education Services Officers are willing to assist all of Maine’s current and former service members with education-benefit-related questions. For more information call 207-430-5922 or email email@example.com.
No matter where you are in life, it’s never too early or too late to establish sound money management practices. Learn more about setting financial goals, creating a budget, saving and investing, and credit-related topics by visiting FAME’s Financial Wellness page.