The Agricultural Marketing Loan Fund program provides financing to Maine farms and agricultural businesses to enhance and improve their products. Funds can be used for enhanced production processes, innovative marketing techniques, or product improvements.
About the Agricultural Marketing Loan Fund
The Agricultural Marketing Loan Fund (AMLF) provides low-cost financing to Maine farmers, food processors, aquaculture operators, and other agricultural enterprises for projects that enhance the manufacturing, marketability, and production of Maine products.
Funds may be used as follows:
- for the design, purchase, construction, renovation or improvement of commodity and storage buildings and packing and marketing facilities equipment essential to the agricultural enterprise;
- for the purchase, construction or renovation of buildings, equipment, docks, wharves, piers or vessels used in connection with the agricultural enterprise;
- for the purchase of land in connection with development of new cranberry acreage;
- for the purchase of land for irrigation reservoirs or to provide direct access to water for irrigation or to fund the development of new or existing sustainable water sources;
- for the purchase of land necessary for the start-up of a new agricultural enterprise;
- for the purchase of land necessary for the expansion of an existing agricultural enterprise when the land acquisition is necessary to comply with land use regulations;
- for the development of a business plan for improvements to pastureland, including seeding and actions to promote rotational grazing;
- for the design or implementation of improvements to infrastructure, equipment and natural resources to enhance an agricultural enterprise’s climate adaptation or mitigation capacity;
- for refinancing existing loans used to finance eligible uses.
The Agricultural Marketing Loan Fund is funded through the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry. FAME administers the program.
Generally, any business located in Maine and engaged, or beginning to engage, in growing or harvesting plants; raising animals; growing, obtaining, or adding value to plant or animal by-products; aquaculture; or producing, processing, storing, packaging or marketing a product derived from such a business. Outside construction lending sources may be required for projects seeking to use the Agricultural Marketing Loan Fund for agriculture-related construction take-out financing.
- Up to 90% of total project cost, subject to maximum loan amounts.
- Up to 45% of total project cost, subject to maximum loan amounts, if eligible project is related to the production of potatoes.
- Maximum loan amount is $250,000; loans for land acquisition cost of start-up enterprises are limited to $100,000.
- Borrower must inject at least 5% in private funds into project.
Federal Prime rate not greater than 5%, fixed for the term of the loan or prime but not greater than 2% (fixed) if borrower has been awarded Maine Farms for the Future Grant.
Up to 30 years and determined by the useful life of the asset(s) being financed.
Asset(s) being financed and other collateral, as required or available.
Guarantees of business principals owning 20% or more of the business, or 5% or more and receiving significant income from the business.
- Loan origination fee: 1% (for loans over $100,000).
- Borrower is responsible for all loan closing costs.
How to Apply
The first step in the application process is an eligibility determination. Submit an Eligibility Form to the Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry (DACF).
If the project is deemed eligible, DACF will notify the applicant(s) and will forward the Eligibility Form to FAME.
Eligibility Documents (DACF)
Eligibility Contact (DACF)
Maine Department of Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry
Agricultural Resource Development Division
Once the project has been deemed eligible by DACF, the applicant(s) must then complete and submit the required program application documents (listed below) to FAME.
Save and print your completed forms, then mail to FAME.
Application Contact (FAME)
207-623-3263 or 1-800-228-3734