About the Pilot Program
The Maine Health Care Provider Loan Repayment Pilot Program provides one-time funds to support rebuilding Maine’s health care industry workforce, which has been negatively impacted by COVID-19. The program will attract and retain health care professionals in Maine by repaying outstanding student loans of selected participants who commit to living and working in Maine for at least three years. FAME will pay up to $25,000 per year or, in aggregate, the lesser of $75,000 or 50% of the recipient’s outstanding loan balance.
Health Care Providers must:
- Be licensed and/or certified by the state of Maine as a medical, dental, or behavioral health practitioner or be a person with a professionally recognized medical, dental or behavioral health credential in the state of Maine;
- Have qualifying outstanding education loans and submit evidence of outstanding educational loan debt;
- Be employed as an eligible health care provider as determined by FAME;
- Not currently benefiting from a loan forgiveness program or loan repayment program administered by FAME or another entity (not including the federal Public Service Loan Forgiveness program).
Loan Repayment Amounts
Up to $25,000 per year or, in aggregate, the lesser of $75,000 or 50% of your outstanding loan balance over three years
Funds are paid directly to the holder or servicer of your student loans in three equal disbursements over a three-year period beginning one year from the date of selection. Recipients must continue to make regular student loan payments.
Prior to each disbursement, recipient must supply evidence of continued employment in an eligible position, proof of payment posting, proof of continued professional qualification, and evidence of outstanding loan balances.
There are no renewals. This is a one-time selection, subject to employer certification.
How to Apply
The application cycle for the Maine Health Care Provider Loan Repayment Pilot Program closed on September 1, 2022. Applications received and completed by September 1, 2022 midnight are currently under review. All applicants will receive written notification of their selection status by the end of October 2022.
How Health Care Providers Are Selected
Applications are reviewed by FAME upon receipt for completeness. After the September 1, 2022 deadline, complete applications will be reviewed for selection, and eligible applications will be prioritized. Prioritization may be based on the following:
- Access to health care for the population where the applicant practices or intends to practice; such as number of vacancies within a local provider system; timeliness of appointments; and whether they or their employer accepts Medicaid;
- Monthly student debt obligation payment as a percentage of gross monthly income;
- Need for specific health care practitioners in a given employment region;
- Workforce needs of Maine health care providers, with special emphasis on the following occupations:
- Occupational Therapists
- Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Physical Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Behavioral Health Care Workers
- Licensed Clinical Social Workers including, but not limited to applied Behavioral Analysts and Board Certified Behavior Analysts, and Licensed Clinical Professional Counselors
- Dental Hygienists
- Dental Therapists
- Medical Assistants
- Health Care Technicians, including, but not limited to, Respiratory Therapists, Surgical Technicians, and Imaging Technicians such as MRI Technicians and Ultra Sonographers
If selected, recipient will be required to submit an electronic employment certification from their employer. Selection is contingent upon satisfactory employment certification.
This program is governed by Maine law as set forth in P.L. 2021, Ch. 483 (Part H) and Chapter 620 of the Rules of the Finance Authority of Maine.
If you have additional questions, please contact our customer service specialists Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
207-623-3263 | Toll-free: 800-228-3734 | TTY: 207-626-2717