New Mainers- Paying for Higher Education

If you are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, the next step is to file your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

To learn more about how to file a FAFSA, visit the Filing the FAFSA section of FAME’s website or watch this short video (in Arabic). If you are an eligible noncitizen, you will need to enter your eight or nine digit Alien Registration Number (ARN) on the FAFSA.

Important FSA ID Information

One of the first steps when filing a FAFSA is to create an FSA ID. The FSA ID is a username and password you will use to access and sign your FAFSA. All students need an FSA ID and one parent of a dependent student will also need his or her own FSA ID to sign the FAFSA.

The FSA ID is tied to your Social Security Number. Be sure to write down all of the information used to create an FSA ID. Use FAME’s FSA ID Information Tracking Sheet to keep track of all FSA ID information.

For more information on creating an FSA ID, watch this short video. If you speak Arabic, we’ve created this video to help with creating and retrieving FSA IDs: Creating an FSA ID (in Arabic).

Have you had a change in citizenship status?

If your status has changed from an eligible noncitizen to a U.S. citizen, contact the Social Security Administration (SSA) to update your status. If you do not update your citizenship status with the SSA, it could delay your student financial aid. To contact the SSA call 1-800-772-1213 or visit the Social Security Administration’s Web site at