...back to Maine Grants & Loan Programs

Tuition Waiver Program (Public Servant)

Children or spouses of Maine firefighters, law enforcement officers or emergency medical services providers killed in the line of duty may receive a tuition waiver to a participating Maine public college/university.

How do I apply?

Applications are available online.

Download the Tuition Waiver Program (Public Servant) Application

  1. Complete the Tuition Waiver Program Application.
  2. Provide proof of acceptance or enrollment in an undergraduate degree program by submitting one of the following:
    • A copy of the college admissions acceptance letter from a Maine postsecondary educational institution
    • A letter from the college registrar’s office confirming your degree program status
    • A current college transcript showing your degree program status
  3. Attach legal documentation for one of the following:
    • Child: verifying you are the natural or legally adopted child of the deceased, and that you were less than 21 years of age at the time of death
    • Spouse: verifying you were legally married to the deceased at the time of death
  4. Provide a copy of the death certificate.
  5. Submit a notarized statement from a local government official confirming the death occurred in the line of duty.
  6. File the FAFSA.

There is no deadline for the Tuition Waiver Program application.

Who is eligible?

Eligible students must meet one of the following conditions at the time of graduation from high school or upon completion of HiSET/GED or equivalent:

  • The Maine resident child of an active Maine firefighter, emergency medical services provider, or full-time law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty, who was under 21 years of age at the time of the parent’s death; or
  • The Maine resident spouse of an active Maine firefighter, emergency medical services provider, or full-time law enforcement officer killed in the line of duty

What are the award amounts?

The award is the actual amount of tuition waived at the college/university that you attend.

Is the award renewable?

Yes! The award is renewable for up to five years of full-time enrollment or the equivalent, prior to receipt of a baccalaureate degree.

Renewal applications are mailed to current recipients by the end of February. In addition to the application, you must complete the FAFSA and continue to be in good academic standing.

Which colleges/universities participate in this program?

  • All of the University of Maine schools
  • All of the Maine community colleges
  • Maine Maritime Academy

Tuition Waiver (Public Servant) is governed by Maine law as set forth in 20-A M.R.S.A. §12571 et seq. and Chapter 608 of the Rules of the Finance Authority of Maine.