Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Program
The Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Program provides loan repayment assistance to dentists practicing in underserved areas in Maine.
Learn more about dentists who have benefited from the Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Program: Maine Dentist Profiles
How do I apply?
Applications are no longer available for the 2019-2020 academic year. Applications for the 2020-2021 academic year will be available February 2020.
- Complete the Maine Dental Education Loan Repayment Application
- Complete the employment verification form
- Submit a list of outstanding education loans
If you are selected as a finalist, you may be requested to participate in an interview.
Priority consideration is given to applications postmarked on or before May 30. Applications received after May 30 may be considered if funds are available.
Who is eligible?
- Agree to: serve all patients regardless of ability to pay through insurance or other payment sources; accept payment terms of MaineCare; provide a sliding fee scale for payment of services to individuals with family income up to 200% of federal poverty levels; and not limit service to any individual based on the payment source
- Have qualifying outstanding education loans, including dental education loans
- Be employed at a dental care facility in an underserved population area
- Be licensed to practice in Maine
- Not be under an agreement for loan repayment from a program funded by the National Health Service Corp
A dental care facility must be in an:
- Underserved population area of Maine, providing primary dental care and provide notice to patients that it:
- Accepts all patients regardless of ability to pay through insurance or other payment source
- Accepts payment on a sliding fee scale for certain low-income individuals
- Accepts payment through MaineCare
- Does not limit service to any individual based on payment source
Which loans qualify for repayment?
Both undergraduate education loans and graduate dental education loans may qualify for repayment.
How are recipients selected?
Applications are reviewed with the Advisory Committee on Dental Education. If you are selected as a finalist, you may be requested to participate in an interview.
What are the award amounts?
Up to $20,000 annually, $80,000 total
You must enter into an agreement requiring an initial two-year commitment, which is renewable for an additional two years.
Is this award renewable?
Yes! The initial contract term is for two years with the ability to renew for an additional two years.
How are funds paid?
Funds are paid directly to the holder or servicer of your student loans. Recipients must continue to make regular student loan payments.
This program is governed by Maine law as set forth in 20-A M.R.S.A. §12301 et seq. and Chapter 612 of the Rules of the Finance Authority of Maine.