Maine Dental Education Loan Program
The Maine Dental Education Loan is a competitive, forgivable loan program for Maine students pursuing a career as a dentist and planning to work in Maine after graduation.
To receive loan forgiveness, a dentist must practice primary dental care full time in an underserved area of the state, in an eligible dental care facility.
How do I apply?
- Complete the Maine Dental Education Loan Program Application.
- Write essay (see application for topic and requirements).
- Provide a copy of all your undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
- Provide Maine residency documentation (FAME may ask for additional documentation, if needed which may include parents’ tax returns):
- Signed copy of your most recent state of Maine tax return (do not include schedules)
- Copy of your current driver’s license
- Copy of your vehicle registration (indicate if you do not have one)
- File the FAFSA by May 30.
The completed application must be postmarked on or before May 30. The FAFSA must be filed by May 30.
Who is eligible?
- Maine residents (for purposes other than education) for two years prior to matriculation at a dental school.
- Students admitted to a program of dentistry for a first dental degree leading to a D.D.S. or D.M.D. at an accredited institution.
- Students who show an interest in practicing primary dental care in an underserved area in Maine and in serving all patients regardless of their ability to pay.
- Students who demonstrate financial need.
How are students selected?
Priority is given to eligible applicants with the greatest financial need and a demonstrated intent to practice primary dental care in an underserved area in Maine. Finalists are required to participate in an interview.
What are the loan amounts?
Up to $20,000 annually, up to $80,000 total
Is this loan renewable?
Yes! To receive renewal funding, the completed renewal application must be postmarked on or before May 30. The FAFSA must be filed by May 30.
FAME mails renewal applications to current recipients by the end of February.
How are the funds paid to the college/university?
FAME pays loan funds directly to your school for credit to your account.
This program is governed by Maine law as set forth in 20-A M.R.S.A. § 12301 et seq. and Chapter 612 of the Rules of the Finance Authority of Maine.