FAME will celebrate another year of successful business and educational partnerships at its annual meeting and awards event, Showcase Maine
, on Thursday, November 19, 2015, beginning at 4:30 p.m. at Portland’s Holiday Inn By The Bay.
is FAME’s annual celebration of its successful partnerships with Maine’s business, lending, and higher education communities. The evening will feature a reception, including a showcase of exhibits by Maine businesses and educational organizations that partner with FAME; a dinner and awards presentation; and a keynote speech by ABC News Anchor and former Maine television reporter Dan Harris.
Harris is co-anchor of both Nightline
and the weekend edition of Good Morning America
on ABC News. He got his start as a television news reporter in Bangor and Portland at WLBZ and WCSH. He is also the author of 10% Happier
, a #1 New York Times
bestselling book about his experience with meditation. With meditation, also known as “mindfulness,” now being embraced by executives, athletes, educators and entertainers, Harris has become a leading voice for moving the practice into the mainstream.
“FAME looks forward to celebrating the successes of the past year with our partners in Maine’s business and higher education communities,” said Bruce Wagner, FAME’s Chief Executive Officer. “We are eager to showcase our current partnerships with Maine businesses and educational organizations, and to honor our partners who help to make bright Maine’s economic and educational future.”
This year’s award recipients include:
- Apothecary By Design (Business at Work for Maine Award): FAME partnered with Bangor Savings Bank to support Apothecary By Design from its earliest stages and is proud to have been a part of its remarkable success. The company offers specialized pharmacy services built on advanced clinical experience, cutting-edge pharmacology, and excellent customer service. FAME will recognize the company’s commitment to patient care, innovation, and growth in Maine and the nation’s healthcare industry.
- Portland Adult Education (Education at Work for Maine Award): Portland Adult Education has been committed to increasing educational opportunities and financial literacy since 1850. The organization helps to foster self- sufficiency through education for area immigrant and refugee populations, as well as the greater community of southern Maine. Classes are accessible, frequently offered, low-cost, and provide a valuable resource for community members who strive to improve their quality of life and create a brighter future for their families.
- Camden National Bank (Financial Institution of the Year Award): This is the bank’s sixth time as an awardee. Over the past year, Camden National partnered with FAME on 62 loans totaling over $22 million. This in turn helped to create 238 Maine jobs and retain an additional 445 jobs. In addition to being a top partner in bringing business to FAME, Camden National has grown remarkably in recent years and is actively committed to the community in which it operates.
- Machias Savings Bank (Community Financial Institution of the Year Award): Machias Savings Bank is being recognized in a new category for small to medium-size lenders. This past year, FAME partnered with Machias Savings on 54 loans to Maine companies totaling over $10 million. This helped to create 109 Maine jobs and retain an additional 307 jobs.
- Hon. Linda Valentino of York County (Dirigo Legislative Champion Award): Valentino, a state senator representing part of York County, is being recognized for her steadfast support of FAME’s mission of helping Maine people pursue business and educational opportunities. Over the years, she has successfully sponsored or cosponsored a number of bills related to FAME, including additional bond funding for our commercial loan insurance and regional economic development loan programs, as well as measures to enhance and extend the Maine Seed Capital Tax Credit and Maine State Grant Programs.