James and Marilyn Rockefeller Scholarship FundEligibility: The James and Marilyn Rockefeller Scholarship Fund supports Maine residents over the age of 18 who, by circumstance or design, are on a “road less traveled” and are seeking educational experiences that will change their life and the lives of people around them, beginning with a completion of a MaineCollege Transitions program. These applicants will demonstrate a determination to succeed, are serious about learning and have a plan (academic and financial) to achieve their goal. Eligible applicants will:
• Have completed a MaineCollege Transitions program run through one of the state’s adult education programs and be undertaking a post-secondary educational opportunity;
• Be a non-traditional student as defined below;
• Demonstrate a passion for learning, whether in a traditional classroom setting or in a less structured environment;
• Demonstrate uncommon tenacity, focus, hope and humor by sharing a portion of their life story;
• Explain their goal;
• Explain their plan (academic and financial) to achieve the goal;
• Demonstrate a long-term commitment to Maine and involvement in its communities.
Definition of a non-traditional student: Students need to meet at least one of the following criteria: be over the age of 25; have delayed enrollment in college after high school for a reason other than a gap year (such as Americorps participation); attend college part-time; work full-time (35 hours/week or more) while being enrolled; have dependents other than a spouse; be financially independent from parents; or did not receive a standard high school diploma (completed with a GED or certificate of completion).
The fund supports post-secondary education in its broadest interpretation, which includes enrollment in traditional two- and four-year colleges and universities, but could also apply to certificate programs, professional training opportunities, and self-directed learning experiences. Maine College Transitions programs are through Maine Adult Education.
If you would like to learn more about Maine College Transitions, please visit its website: MaineCollegeTransitions.org.
Contact the Maine Community Foundation or your local Maine College Transitions Program.
Enrolled in College
Returning to School
Nonspecific to course of study