Student Loan Repayment
Managing your student loan repayment is an important part of establishing good credit and achieving your future financial goals.
Locate Your Loans
- Go to StudentAid.gov locate your federal student loans. Log into My Federal Student Aid by clicking on the “Log In” box in the top right hand corner.
The Federal Student Aid website is the best source of information for repayment plans for federal student loans.
- Pay As You Earn
- Income Contingent
- Income-Based Repayment
- Income-Sensitive Repayment
Estimate Your Monthly Student Loan Payment
- Use the Federal Repayment Estimator to estimate your monthly student loan payment under each of the seven repayment options listed above.
Explore Assistance with Paying Your Student Loans
- Private Loan Repayment Counseling – take this brief online course to review all that you need to know as you prepare to enter repayment on your private education loans.
- Opportunity Maine – a tax credit available for eligible Maine student loan borrowers.
- Alfond Leaders – a student debt reduction program for selected applicants who live and work in Maine in a STEM-(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) designated occupation at a Maine-based employer.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness – federal student loan forgiveness for individuals working in certain professions.
- Forgiveness, Cancellation and Discharge – learn about situations where you may be eligible to have your federal student loan forgiven, cancelled or discharged.
- Deferments and Forbearances – find out if you qualify for this temporary postponement of student loan repayment.
- Disputes – learn more about resolving disputes regarding your federal student loan or contact FAME’s Ombudsman.