Student Loan Repayment
Managing your student loan repayment is an important part of establishing good credit and achieving your future financial goals.
Locate Your Loans
- Use the National Student Loan Data System to locate your federal student loans. You can also request a free annual credit report, as your federal loan history and any alternative/private loan history will be listed in your credit report. In fact, your credit report is one of the best resources for locating your alternative/private loan information.
The Federal Student Aid website is the best source of information for repayment plans for federal student loans.
- Pay As You Earn
- Income Contingent
- Income-Based Repayment
- Income-Sensitive Repayment
Estimate Your Monthly Student Loan Payment
- Use the Federal Repayment Estimator to estimate your monthly student loan payment under each of the seven repayment options listed above.
Explore Assistance with Paying Your Student Loans
- Private Loan Repayment Counseling – take this brief online course to review all that you need to know as you prepare to enter repayment on your private education loans.
- Opportunity Maine – a tax credit available for eligible Maine student loan borrowers.
- Alfond Leaders – a student debt reduction program for selected applicants who live and work in Maine in a STEM-(Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) designated occupation at a Maine-based employer.
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness – federal student loan forgiveness for individuals working in certain professions.
- Forgiveness, Cancellation and Discharge – learn about situations where you may be eligible to have your federal student loan forgiven, cancelled or discharged.
- Deferments and Forbearances – find out if you qualify for this temporary postponement of student loan repayment.
- Disputes – learn more about resolving disputes regarding your federal student loan or contact FAME’s Ombudsman.