Completing the FAFSA is the first step to be considered for federal, state, and many types of institutional aid. The earlier you file, the more funds you may be eligible to receive!
Go to FAFSA.gov to complete your FAFSA:
- Use your (the student) FSA ID to start the FAFSA as this will pre-populate key pieces of information.
- Submit the FAFSA as soon after October 1 as possible.
- The 2020–2021 FAFSA requires 2018 income information.
- The schools you list on your FAFSA will receive your FAFSA information electronically.
- If available, we strongly recommend you use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA to transfer 2018 income and tax information to the FAFSA.
(Please refer to our FAFSA FAQs page for more information on the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.)
In addition to the FAFSA, complete any additional financial aid applications (e.g., the CSS/Financial Aid Profile) that may be required by your school. Check with your school(s) to see what forms are needed.
Need Help Completing Your FAFSA?
Use these online resources:
- Check out FAME’s short animated “Filing the FAFSA” video.
- Know what you need to prepare to file your FAFSA and then follow up after you file your FAFSA.
- Read FAME’s FAFSA FAQs and FAFSA Quick Tips.
Contact FAME’s Customer Service Team:
- By phone: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 1-800-228-3734
- By email: email@example.com – emails will be answered during business hours
Help is also available at FAFSA.gov:
- FAFSA’s toll-free number is 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243).
- Click on the question mark located next to each questions for more information about that question.
- Look for the “? Help” button located at the top of each page. Click the button to find a list of searchable questions and to access a FAFSA specialist via live online chat, toll free phone or email.