College Access Counselor
Temporary - 12 months
The individual holding this position is responsible for participating in the development, delivery and evaluation of FAME’s college access program. The focus of FAME’s college access efforts is college savings, aspirations, financial education and debt management. This position will be housed with and worked alongside Community Financial Literacy (CFL) to serve the immigrant and refugee populations of Maine. This position is temporary and may continue based on program success.
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Business Development and Customer Relations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Duties and responsibilities of the individual holding this position may include, but are not strictly limited to, the following:
- Participate in the development, delivery and evaluation of FAME’s college access efforts with a focus on college savings, aspirations, financial education and debt management.
- Develop and present different financial and education topics to constituents.
- College Fairs and presentations.
- Delivering NextGen information to appropriate community, business and school audiences, as well as to parents.
- Participating in FAFSA completion and other events.
- Perform multiple verbal presentations per day, including nights and weekends.
2. Manage projects that support FAME and CFL’s objectives including but not limited to:
- Assist in development of marketing materials to promote outreach work to refugee and immigrant populations.
- Increase refugee and immigrant community knowledge of foreign higher education transcript review and resolution.
- Assist in creation of a measurements and evaluation of program success.
- Develop and maintain relationships with community and partner organizations.
3. Assume additional responsibilities as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four (4) year degree in business, social sciences, education, marketing, or related field is required (or an appropriate combination of education and work experience).
- Minimum of three (3) years related work experience required. Understanding of higher education programs required.
- Proficient in writing and speaking of more than one language, including English. Preference given to those with knowledge of languages used by Maine’s refugee and immigrant communities, specifically Arabic and French.
- Knowledge and connection to Maine refugee and immigrant populations.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in interpersonal relations, and oral and written communication. The ability to clearly present to audiences of varying sizes is required.
- Strong computer, time management, and problem-solving skills are required. Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Must possess a positive, achievement-oriented attitude to build strong relationships with all clients, vendors and staff.
- Motivated, self-starter with proven team building skills.
Normal office walking and sitting. The ability to lift up to 50 pounds is required. Frequent overnight travel and distance driving are required.
FAME is an equal opportunity employer. The Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) does not discriminate in the administration of any of its programs or in its employment practices or on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, marital status or sexual orientation. FAME is an equal opportunity employer, provider and lender.