College Access Counselor
FAME is seeking a dynamic and innovative professional for one of our College Access Counselor positions. This individual will be responsible for participating in the development, delivery and evaluation of FAME’s education related outreach programs. Our outreach efforts are focused on college savings, aspirations, financial aid, financial literacy and debt management. The individual in this position will be primarily responsible for managing a territory that includes Bangor North and Downeast. They will be required to work from the FAME office or have a remote work site (e.g., home office) that will provide appropriate opportunity to work without undue interruptions. Extensive travel (primarily within Maine) is required.
The successful candidate must demonstrate an understanding of higher education programs and Title IV, possess a minimum of three years related experience, and have a four-year college degree in a related field. A team player with excellent communication and presentation skills is required, as well as strong time and project management skills; problem-solving skills; and a positive, achievement-oriented attitude to foster and maintain strong relationships with our clients, business partners, vendors and staff.
FAME offers a comprehensive benefit package, including but not limited to, paid time off; health insurance; dental insurance; disability, life and AD&D insurance; long-term care insurance; continued education; and an EAP.
The individual holding this position is responsible for participating in the development, delivery and evaluation of FAME’s college access programs. The focus of FAME’s college access efforts is college savings, aspirations, financial education and debt management.
Under the direct supervision of the College Access and Outreach Manager.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Duties and responsibilities of the individual holding this position may include, but are not strictly limited to, the following:
- Participate in the development, delivery and evaluation of FAME’s college access efforts with a focus on college savings, aspirations, financial education and debt management.
Manage projects that support FAME’s objectives.
Develop and maintain relationships with partner organizations.
Assume additional responsibilities as required.
- Develop and present different financial and education topics to constituents.
- College Fairs and presentations to organizations such as MESCA, MECA, MEOCC, TRIO and MAEA.
- Delivering NextGen information to appropriate community, business and school audiences, as well as to parents.
- Training hospital staff and others as appropriate with regard to the Harold Alfond College Challenge.
- Participating in FAFSA completion and other events.
- Perform multiple verbal presentations per day, including nights and weekends.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Four (4) year degree in business, social sciences, education, marketing, or related field is required (or an appropriate combination of education and work experience).
- Minimum of three (3) years related work experience required. Understanding of higher education programs required.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in interpersonal relations, and oral and written communication. The ability to clearly present to audiences of varying sizes is required.
- Strong computer, time management, and problem-solving skills are required. Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment.
- Must possess a positive, achievement-oriented attitude to build strong relationships with all clients, vendors and staff.
- Motivated, self-starter with proven team building skills.
Normal office walking and sitting. The ability to lift up to 50 pounds is required. Frequent overnight travel and distance driving are required.
Individuals who meet these minimum qualifications and are interested in joining a dynamic organization should forward a cover letter and resume to Human Resource Manager, Finance Authority of Maine, PO Box 949, Augusta, ME 04332-0949 or by e-mail at employmentops@FAMEmaine.com.