Director of Education
This individual is accountable for the oversight of all FAME educational services, including the teams that provide customer service, college access and financial education (CAFÉ) outreach, administration of state-funded loan and grant programs, and management of the college savings program. This person is also accountable for strategic initiatives related to the implementation of statewide higher education finance and savings programs, development of education-related synergies for economic development and funding to meet identified higher education needs for Maine citizens. This position is directly responsible for management of the CAFÉ team, for the promotion of the Maine Private Education Loan Network as well as development and implementation of education policy related to the state-funded loan and grant programs administered by FAME.
This individual provides supervision to NextGen Program Manager, Education Programs Manager, Education Programs Assistant and College Access Counselors.
This individual is under the direct supervision of the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Accountable for the effective operation, high level oversight and policy direction of, as well as coordination and integration of, all education related state and federal FAME programs including, but not limited to the Educators for Maine Program, Medical Education Program, Maine State Grant Program (MSG), NextGen College Investing Plan, NextGen Matching Grant Program, NextGen Scholarship Program and the Harold Alfond College Challenge Program. In addition, has primary accountability for: direct oversight of the College Access Counselors, policy components including relational aspects (i.e. sales and promotion) of the Maine Private Education Loan Network, and policy components of the FAME education programs other than NextGen.
- Ensures that all programs comply with all applicable State and Federal legal and regulatory requirements.
- Develops and implements programs that provide parents with an opportunity to save for their children’s education.
- Attends Board meetings for FAME as well as other agencies/organizations to discuss matters pertaining to various educational programs.
- Direct, lead and coordinate the outreach activities of the college access and financial education team.
- Oversee and develop an annual budget for the Division.
- Develop appropriate performance measures in line with strategic goals.
- Evaluates cost/benefit analyses of outside providers to determine the impact and effectiveness of contracted functions to in-house functions.
- Accountable for the oversight of FAME’s outreach efforts to develop and implement effective college access, student loan default prevention and debt management and financial education programs working with school guidance counselors and financial aid officers, families, lenders, and other related organizations.
- Participates in civic activities to promote educational and economic development of communities and provide a positive public image for the Education Division and FAME.
- Maintain active memberships in professional organizations to initiate, develop, and maintain sustaining relationships with institutions of higher education, governmental entities, financial institutions and other related organizations.
- In conjunction with the CEO and other Directors this position will ensure compliance with State and Federal regulations for all programs, as well as sound internal control over financial reporting. Build internal policies and procedures to ensure adequate controls and systems.
- Assumes additional responsibilities as necessary.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and Experience
- Four (4) year degree required, preferably in finance or administration, plus specialized training in higher education finance (or an appropriate combination of education and work experience).
- Minimum of ten (10) years in related industry/business experience.
- Knowledge of Federal and State education regulations.
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, as well as strategic thinking skills.
- Strong time management, project management and problem solving skills are required. Superior organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to prioritize in a fast paced multi-tasking environment.
- Must possess a positive, achievement oriented attitude to build strong relationships with all community partners, clients, vendors and staff.
- Motivated, self-starter with proven team building skills.
Normal office walking, lifting and sitting. Both in-state and out of state overnight travel and driving are often required
Send resume and letter of application to:
Lisa Brown, PHR
Human Resource Manager
Finance Authority of Maine
PO Box 949
Augusta, ME 04332-0949
FAME is an equal opportunity employer. The Finance Authority of Maine (FAME) does not discriminate in the administration of any of its programs or in its employment practices or on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, gender, religion, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, marital status or sexual orientation. FAME is an equal opportunity employer, provider and lender.